A few weeks ago I started a facebook group called Strong Pastor and then I went into several of the Pastors groups that I belong to on facebook and I asked fellow-pastors if they wanted to join me in this group for our first program called "Finish the Year Strong' which is a a weight-loss challenge/competition that lasts for 16 weeks.
This is the first in several "programs" we will offer to help Pastors with the following struggles:
I started this Facebook Group because as of late I have been burdened for my fellow-pastors around the globe.
Well check out some of these number cited on 9marks.org:
- Hours and Pay
- 90% of the pastors report working between 55 to 75 hours per week.
- 50% feel unable to meet the demands of the job.
- 70% of pastors feel grossly underpaid.
- Training and Preparedness
- 90% feel they are inadequately trained to cope with the ministry demands.
- 90% of pastors said the ministry was completely different than what they
thought it would be like before they entered the ministry.
- Health and Well-Being
- 70% of pastors constantly fight depression.
- 50% of pastors feel so discouraged that they would leave the ministry if
they could, but have no other way of making a living.
- Marriage and Family
- 80% believe pastoral ministry has negatively affected their families.
- 80% of spouses feel the pastor is overworked.
- 80% spouses feel left out and under-appreciated by church members.
- Church Relationships
- 70% do not have someone they consider a close friend.
- 40% report serious conflict with a parishioner at least once a month.
- #1 reason pastors leave the ministry — Church people are not willing to go the same direction and goal of the pastor. Pastors believe God wants them to go in one direction but the people are not willing to follow or change.
- 50% of the ministers starting out will not last 5 years.
- 1 out of every 10 ministers will actually retire as a minister in some form.
- 4,000 new churches begin each year and 7,000 churches close.
- Over 1,700 pastors left the ministry every month last year.
- Over 1,300 pastors were terminated by the local church each month, many without cause.
- Over 3,500 people a day left the church last year.
Hopefully these statistics did not depress you.
Don't get down or defeated because the same God that called you or your Pastor into ministry is the same God that can help you fulfill His calling on your life.
We can all agree that it is not easy to be in the ministry, but through God all things are possible.
One of my favorite verses in regards to my ministry calling is 1 Thes. 5:24 "Faithful is He that calleth you who also will do it!" Can I get an AMEN!
God is faithful and He can and will bring you through the good and the bad times in your ministry if you will let Him!
From one Pastor to another I want to say that I understand and that through Life Factors Ministries we want to encourage you on your journey.
Some of the things we will be doing through Strong Pastor:
- We will post regularly about this topic with helpful ideas and encouragement.
- We will continue with our first program through our facebook Group.
- We will watch to see where else God leads us with this ministry.
If you are a Pastor please check out our Podcast and other resources for additional inspiration on your journey.
Also, please contact us and let us know of anything you need help with.
We want to help and encourage you on your pastoral journey!