Hello, my name is Sean Teis and I am a stress eater.
Now that we are acquainted let me ask you, can you relate?
Stress eating is pretty common in our stress-filled world today!
Here are some statistics from the American Physiological Association:
Thirty-eight percent of adults say they have overeaten or eaten unhealthy foods in the past month because of stress. Half of these adults (49 percent) report engaging in these behaviors weekly or more.
Thirty-three percent of adults who report overeating or eating unhealthy foods because of stress say they do so because it helps distract them from stress.
Twenty-seven percent of adults say they eat to manage stress and 34 percent of those who report overeating or eating unhealthy foods because of stress say this behavior is a habit.
As you may be able to relate, I stress eat with the best of them. So over the past few years when a problem arose, I arose and went to find some food. Sadly, this is how I responded. Food was my comfort. Food soothed my soul. I am sure there are those of you reading this that can relate. Some Generic Examples:
- Financial Fears = A big bowl of ice cream or frozen yogurt!
- People Problems = Why not some outback cheese fries!
- Work Worries = Some pizza sounds like a plan!
These are just some silly examples of a stress eater’s pattern. It is sick I know. But it is true. And the result is not pretty. You end up still stressed but now you are more unhealthy, heavier, and more stressed because you ate your way through your stress.
BUT, we must learn to handle stress in a better way! We must rely on God for my comfort, not food. Sounds simple, but in our weight loss or our health journey, this is a must! Here are three ways we can overcome stress eating:
- Scripture - When we get the urge to stress eat we can cling to verses such as: Psalm 16:8-9 "I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope."
- Prayer - Strive daily to pray to God for strength to resist eating poorly! Only through God's strength can we overcome stress eating!
- Substitutions - Whether you stress eat in the morning, during work hours, at night or whenever. Recognize that time of weakness and try to replace those urges or snacks with healthy substitutions. For example, stress eating for me happens a lot at night so I try to have a lower calorie snack readily available.
Do you stress eat? Please share in the comments below how you will overcome it?
You can overcome stress eating!
I have been working on this since earlier this year and I am proud to say that I have lost 30+ pounds and am on a journey to get down to a healthy weight! I still have more weight I want I want to lose, but with changes like this I can reach the goal I am striving for!
Say it with me "I will no longer be a stress eater and I can overcome stress eating through God!"
You can do this!
Have you stress ate in the past and overcame it? Please share in the comments below how you overcame it?
Have a great day!